Wednesday, May 29

on welcoming swimsuit season

Exciting news-- summer is here, not officially, but since Memorial Day was last weekend, in my eyes, summer has arrived. As thrilled as I am that the pool season is upon us, I also have a love/hate relationship with it. I love laying pool side soaking in the sun rays. I hate putting on a swimsuit for the first time and realizing how pale I've become over the winter. I love floating around on a raft with my toes in the water. I hate swimsuit shopping. I know I'm not alone in this either. I think most women hate putting on a swimsuit. Because let's be honest, I'm not sure who they think is going to be wearing it, but ninety percent of suits I try on, sure aren't very flattering.

Body image is something I've struggled with my whole life. And I know there are lots of women (and men) who struggle with it, as well. It's such a viscous cycle and it always seems to rear its ugly head when swimsuit season comes around. And it's tough...yet, I don't know about you, but I'm not going to let it interfere with my summer. I have learned over the years, that it is more important to be healthy and joyful than it is to be thin. Now, I realize that everyone has a different definition of thin. I have often resented by athletic build. However, I have also learned that societies definition of thin isn't necessarily accurate. So wherever you find yourself today, I hope that you enjoy the swimsuit season, even if you aren't necessarily feelin' it. Put on your suit and jump in!

I am lovin' all these adorable one piece swimsuits that are coming into style. Here are a few of my faves.

via J.Crew
via shabby apple
via J.Crew
via shabby apple

Until next time...

No comments: