Wednesday, June 8

But I want to know why?

Last night as I was reading, I came across a verse that struck me. As I kept reading, I couldn't help my mind from going back and thinking about that verse. It says:

"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before even a single day had passed."
~Psalm 139:16

Every moment was laid out before even a single day had pass...

Really?!? So, God knew that last night I would eat Banana Nut Cheerios for dinner? Or that today my morning meeting would get cancelled so I would have extra time to get work done? Or how in high school I would, once, get in trouble for "misinforming" my parents on where I was going ? Or that I would endure events as a child that altered the rest of my life?

I'm not trying to start a debate about free will and the choices we make. I completely believe that we as humans make decisions that can change and affect the outcome of our life. But what it does make me ponder is "why?" Why do we endure some of the bad things that are done to us? Were these moments laid out before even a single day had passed? Ok, so if they are....why?

I struggled back and forth, playing devils advocate in my own mind, basically arguing with myself. I'm sure if you were looking from afar, I would somewhat resemble Jan Brady in The Brady Bunch movie as she's having conversations in her head. Unfortunately, yeah, I do that too.

Click to listen to Jan's voices
As I was pondering this, a couple realizations came to me. First, maybe we aren't supposed to understand why, maybe that's not supposed to be part of our journey. (Not exactly the simple answer I was hoping for) and second another scripture came into my head.

"...the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."
~2 Corinthians 1:4

Maybe the reason we experience those things, is so that we can be of comfort to others who go through similar experiences or that we can share in the truth that there is hope. There is hope that no matter what you go through in life, that you can get through it, get over it, rise above it and persevere.

I guess I'll never full understand, but that's going to have to be ok. Pretty simple.

No comments: