Monday, January 30

doughnut delight

Here we are again and it's Monday. After a great weekend, I wasn't quite ready to come back to work but Monday came whether I was ready or not. I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. Not necessarily because I was tired (because that's always a struggle) but because I went snowboarding for the first time this weekend and I could barely get out of bed.

A few groans and ughs and I made it out of bed. But oh man was snowboarding fun! Jake kept telling me that I was going to hate it at first but I seemed to think that I was going to be awesome. Turns out...Jake was right. For the first hour or so, I was hating the experience. Even though I had a pretty handsome instructor, I was frustrated, annoyed and hurting. It also didn't help that kids half my size were zooming past me. I may have even glared at a few of them. Whoops.
After we took a little break, I got back out on the board and it seems a bit easier. I actually managed to make it down the hill without fall, except for getting off the tow rope. I still can't managed to get away from it when I let go, so I usually opt for falling and scooting. I'm sure it's quite a sight from a distance.
Once I actually started to get the hang out it, it was so much fun. It was such an adrenalin rush. I was pretty proud of myself and that I stuck with it and managed to really enjoy it. I still have a really long way to go, but I definitely want to go again.

This weekend also included time spent with my dear cousin and her husband. We so enjoy our time with them when we see them. There is always lots of conversation and laughs over great food and drinks.


On Saturday morning, we all managed to squeeze into one corner in the kitched to cook up some delicious breakfast. Laura mixed up some of our grandmother's donuts (a favorite when we used to have sleepovers at her house) and I fried them up. They were delicious. Not necessarily good for the waistline, but so good for the soul.

Easy Tea Doughnuts by Grandma Janice
1 egg
cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ cup milk
1cups sifted all-purpose flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Vegetable oil for frying
Granulated sugar for tossing or 1 recipe vanilla glaze

1 Preheat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer. Beat egg, add sugar, butter, vanilla and milk. Beat well. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture, beat until blended.
2. Drop by small teaspoons into preheated oil. Fry until golden brown, turning to brown evenly, about 2 minutes. Remove doughnuts and drain on a paper towel. Toss in sugar or coat with vanilla glaze.


1 comment:

homeawaits said...

I might have to try these!