Tuesday, November 8

It's getting to be that time of year again

Today I had a moment. One of those humbling kind of moments. It was after work and I was at the store. I needed to pick up a few things since I haven't gone grocery shopping for about a month...it was about time to get some milk and bananas.

Our small group decided to fill a couple shoe boxes for Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child. You can learn more about it here. It's a really great opportunity to give a child a boxed filled with Christmas gifts. The gifts can range from hygiene items, toys, mittens, etc. You pack all the items in a shoe box for a specific gender and age, then you drop it off and it gets delivered to a less fortunate child during the Christmas season. Like I said, it's a great idea. If you haven't ever done it, take some time to do this small task. It's well worth it.


As I was picking items to select for the boxes. I noticed myself watching the price of what I picked up, trying to budget the amount that I was spending. Now,I am no means trying to gain any sort of self righteousness in regards to my generosity. But, it eventually hit me...I was questioning how much I was spending on these children who have next to nothing but not thinking twice about paying $3 for a box of cereal. Does it seem like there is something wrong with that?

It sure seemed like it to me.

I am somewhat embarrassed and disgusted with myself. I felt convicted, guilty, and spoiled. As I was going to my comfortable, heated home to make a warm dinner then sit at my computer and blog, while possibly looking at a few new wedding ideas, there are so many people out there who are so much less fortunate for basic needs to be met. It really shook me. It bothered me how I was evaluating whether or not to spend $5 on a toy for a child who has nothing. Yet, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Christmas present for a sibling which costs much more than $5. I feel like I need to give myself a reality check.

It's getting to be the time of year that generosity is often sought after. We are asked to give and to donate and to volunteer. But I feel like this shouldn't be something that we do just during the holiday season. This should be a way of life.

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." ~Matthew 25:40

We are commanded to take care of the less fortunate, the oppressed, the poor. I know I need to do a better job with all of my resources. At least it's something for me to chew on right now...

1 comment:

homeawaits said...

Im really trying to grasp the word generous. Not the easiest. Thanks for the reminder!