Monday, July 18

My Favorite Week of the Year

Christmas may be my favorite day of the year...but this week is by far my most favorite week of the year. Ever.

It's Fair Week!

Yep, you're about to find out just how small town/country girl I may actually be. You see...the county fair is a really big deal where I come from. The county basically shuts down. Seriously. Because everyone is at the fair.

I grew up at the fair. I grew up looking forward to fair week more than any other time of the year. It was a time when all my family was together for a week. Grandma now lived just ten steps away, and I was surrounded by friends. Then there is the food, elephant ears, the church tent, corn dogs, cotton candy, caramel apples and, my favorite, orange shake ups. Oh man....it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

I still love the fair. I love going to the fair. I love walking around. I love the smell of the animals, the noise of the pigs and cow. I love seeing 4-H projects and seeing people I only see at the fair. I love the demolition derby and the draft horse show. I love playing ski ball with my brother (who isn't going to get to come this year because he's saving lives in Ecuador right now). I love walking through the animal barns. I love petting the cow's noses. But mostly I love spending hours with my family, laughing, sitting around, and playing cards. It's my favorite way to spend my time.

Not to mention the pageant. Yep...the county fair queen pageant. I competed in it and was blessed to be crowned queen in 2007. There is a very special place in my heart for it. But that's another blog for another time.

Milking the goat

Tomorrow I head back to Illinois for a few days at the fair. Needless to say...I cannot wait!


Then on Saturday I will be blessed to watch roommate Meg and Kev finally tie the knot!! Woo Hoo!

Then off to a work conference for a few days in Nashville. Whew. Tired just thinking about it. But it's all going to be so much fun.

I will return with pictures of animals...lots of them!

No comments: