Wednesday, July 4

Happy July 2nd


Yes, according to everyone else it is the great summer holiday, Independence Day. For me, I am only considering it to be July 2nd. Why you ask?!?

Well, because I spent this glorious holiday in my office...working. Albeit, I volunteered to work today, but it doesn't make me any less envious of everyone else enjoying being poolside, eating yummy grilled food, and catching candy at the parade. Yet, since I worked today, I get to have Friday off, which is when I have declared my July 4th celebration to take place. So while everyone is back in their offices, I'll be poolside posting pictures to Facebook of my floating raft in the pool and my awesome umbrella drink. (And no, I'm not bitter)

Anyway, today is great day regardless of whether your working, serving, or enjoying. It's our yearly reminder that what we have in our county didn't come without a fight. We had to declare our independence and create something completely new. I am a big history buff and, as uncool as it is, historic events such as the signing of the Declaration of Independence, make me excited. A couple years ago, I visited Independence Hall. I just stood in awe thinking of the events that had taken place in that very building. Thinking of those incredible movers and shakers who would discuss their ideas and make plans.

The first time I went to Washington D.C., I was enamored by the history and overwhelmed with the magnitude of what events take place in that city. It opened my eyes and made history so much more real. Then about six year later, I went to Egypt. It was during my time in Cairo, that I came to realize just how valuable our freedom is to us. It was such a different world in Egypt, especially as women. we were treated in such a way that I have never been more thankful to be an American.

And as I am just 59 days away from having the same last name as one of the coolest people in history, not that I'm biased or anything, it is such a sweet reminder today make sure we say thank you and pray for our country.

Happy July 2...err...4th!

No comments: