Tuesday, February 5

on friendships

This past weekend, I traveled to Lexington, Kentucky for girls weekend. A group of girls from college get together every three or four months for the, always enjoyable, girls weekend. We travel from at least six different states and find a central location to meet up. From Friday to Sunday, we spend hours upon hours talking, laughing, eating, wine drinking, and sharing in life updates. One of my most favorite things about girls weekend, is that regardless of how long it's been since we've seen each other, it's like no time as passed and we pick up right where we left off.

One thing I've realized recently is the importance of friendships. Since we've moved to a new area, it is becoming more apparent that we don't have the same kind of friendships up here. I have been really blessed in my life to have some really incredible friends. I love being surrounded with people that I am comfortable with and who you can just share in life together. As we move away from college, get married, start working and having kids, friendships have to adjust and change. A lot of us move away from one another which makes it harder to keep in touch regularly.

I am so thankful that I still have a group of friends that can get together and just enjoy our time together. I definitely wish we all lived in the same town, you know...like in college, but it's just not the reality of the situation anymore. But it's really refreshing to spend time with those lovely ladies and I am so thankful for each one of them.

Making friends as a "grown-up" is tough. It's definitely not like going to the playground and just deciding that that girl is going to be your new best friend. My new challenge is to meet new people and find people to share in the day to day life with one another. We were not created to do the life alone. And I love my husband and he truly is my best friend, but really, he doesn't get as excited I do about my new shoes or what to dish out all the best girl talk topics. And I appreciate that because I can't be his "guys" either.

This weekend reminded me of the importance of old friendship and thankful for the opportunity to make new ones.


No comments: