Wednesday, March 13

let's be frank

This morning, I woke up and looked at my window, expecting to see even more green grass than yesterday. Instead, I saw the complete opposite-- another six inches of snow. Just when I thought spring was on the horizon, another lake effect snow party arrives. Needless to say, I was less than assumed. I followed up by my typical morning routine: coffee, breakfast and email checking. Recently, I have been holding my breath each time I open my email. Hoping for some activity that shows my job search is finally bearing some fruit.

Sigh, nothing.

For those of you who need updating, I left my prior job when we relocated. When we first moved north, I didn't expect much job activity because it was the end of the year and near the holiday. I didn't figure many people would be looking to hire at that point, so I didn't fret much. I had a couple bites, a few interviews, but nothing panned out. It wasn't until a couple weeks ago, that the word "frustrated" began to surface.

Let's be honest, job searching is tough. I knew it would take some time, but I also thought it'd have had a little more activity than I've had. Maybe I am being naive about the situation, but I've been to this frustrated place before and at that point, I blamed it on the fact that I was a new graduate. I'm out of excuses this time. One of the hardest parts is that most jobs come from having connections, and we're pretty unconnected here. So, my wonderfully patience and understanding husband has suggested that maybe I change up my approach. I met his remark with much resistance, because I didn't want to admit that he was probably right.

Although, it may sound like it, I'm not unhappy with all my free time. I've been able to do a lot of things that I couldn't if I were working all day. Our house is probably the cleanest it will ever be and I've had lots of opportunities to try out new recipes or DIY projects. I love being able to do things I enjoy, but a part of me also craves to be back in the working world. To be contributing to something outside of myself. And that is where I am today.

But job searching is kind of like the weather. You just have to wait and trust. Wait and trust. Wait for it to warm up and trust that the seasons will change. Wait for the flowers to bloom and trust that new life will soon appear. Wait for the right opportunity to come across my path and trust that God will provide it in His timing. Wait and trust. Wait and trust. Wait and trust.

No comments: