Wednesday, July 3

rainy days & sweet potato fries

 
Have I ever mentioned that I just love Shauna Niequist? No...well I do. I have loved all of her books and following her on pretty much all social media outlets. I just think she and I would be really great friends-- if I could just meet her. (I promise I'm not creepy, I just think she's a pretty cool cat.)

Her most recent book is chuck full of recipes and other goodness. You can check out my review of Bread & Wine here. Anyway, I have tried a lot of the recipes in the book and have been pretty pleased with them. One of my absolute favorites is the Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Dipping Sauce. And what a better way to end a long, rainy work day (the hubs, not me) than with sweet potato fries and red wine.

 
These yummy fries are pretty easy to make. They just take some time and planning. First start by peeling and slicing the potatoes into long thin batons. Then soak them in cold water for at least an hour, but up to half a day. Working in batches, remove one-fourth of the sweet potato batons from the water and dry them well between paper towels.

Put the first batch of dried sweet potatoes into a large plastic bag with one tablespoon of cornstarch. Shake until completely covered. Put the coated sweet potato batons on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle one tablespoon of olive oil over the potatoes, and then toss to coat well. Spread out batons so they aren't touching.

Cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then toss and cook for another 5 to 15 minutes, checking for doneness after 5 minutes. Remove when they start to become golden.

Repeat with the other three batches. Sprinkle with sea salt before serving. While fries are cooking, mix together mayonnaise, ketchup, Sriracha and relish in a small bowl. Serve alongside fries.

Fries
4 Sweet Potatoes
4 tbsp cornstarch, divided
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
Sea Salt

Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
2 tsp sweet pickle relish
 
*A couple side notes: I typically cut the recipe in half if it is just me and the hubs. Two sweet potatoes is plenty for two people. 
 
**I also add a little less Sriracha sauce because my mouth is a wimp when it comes to spicy food.
 
 If your looking for something to serve for the fourth, try this dish. It will be a crowd favorite. Enjoy!

This recipe is taken from Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequest.

No comments: